Education for Family and Caregivers
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free 8-week course for family and caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
What does the course include?
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services.
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
Begins: Wednesday July 8, 2020
Time: 6:30-9:00 p.m.
The above program requires registration!! To register click here. For more information or request to be contacted when the next course becomes available, contact NAMI Greater Cleveland at 216-875-7776 or email Kari Kepic at email@example.com.
NAMI Basics is the new online signature education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illnesses. The NAMI Basics course is taught by trained teachers who are the parent or other caregivers of individuals who developed the symptoms of mental illness prior to the age of 13 years.
The course consists of 5 classes, each lasting for 2 ½ hours. All instruction materials are FREE to participants.
Please click here to register for NAMI Basics.
Understanding Mental Illness
Support/Education course for families/friends of individual(s) coping with mental illness, including information for families of veterans.
The course is free of charge, but registration is necessary. Please click here to be notified of upcoming classes.
For families/caregivers of persons with mental illness
Unawareness of illness is typically a symptom rather than a coping strategy. Dr. Amador advises to address mental health symptoms and other problem areas with a tool he calls L.E.A.P. His scientific studies have proven the effectiveness of this method. In this workshop you will learn more productive ways to communicate with your loved one. Please click here to be notified of upcoming classes. You can also learn more at: www.LEAPinstitute.org.
If you would like us to contact you when future family/caregiver classes are scheduled, call the NAMI office at 216-875-7776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.