Education Programs for Peers
What Is NAMI’s Peer-To-Peer Program?
Peer-to-Peer is a unique, experiential learning program for people with any serious mental illness who are interested in establishing and maintaining their wellness and recovery.
- The course was written by Kathryn Cohan McNulty, a person with a psychiatric disability who is also a former provider and manager in the mental health field and a longtime mutual support group member and facilitator.
- An advisory board comprised of NAMI consumer members, in consultation with Joyce Burland, Ph.D., author of the successful NAMI Family-to-Family Education program, helped guide the curriculum’s development.
- Since 2005, NAMI’s Peer-to-Peer Recovery Program has been supported by AstraZeneca.
What does the course include?
- Peer-to-Peer consists of ten two-hour units and is taught by a team of two trained “Mentors” and a volunteer support person who are personally experienced at living well with mental illness.
- Mentors are trained in an intensive three day training session and are supplied with teaching manuals.
- Participants come away from the course with a binder of hand-out materials, as well as many other tangible resources: an advance directive; a “relapse prevention plan” to help identify tell-tale feelings, thoughts, behavior, or events that may warn of impending relapse and to organize for intervention; mindfulness exercises to help focus and calm thinking; and survival skills for working with providers and the general public.
- Friday, February 3, 2017, 1 – 3 p.m.
VA PRRC (this class is open to the community)
7000 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, Ohio 44103
- Friday, April 21, 2017, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
2012 W. 25th Street, 6th floor, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Registration is required. Contact Becky Fela at email@example.com or 216-875-7776 for more information or to register.
If you’d like to be contacted when future classes are scheduled call or email Terri Miller at 216-875-7776 or firstname.lastname@example.org. and provide your name, address, phone # and class you are interested in.