NAMI’s Ask the Expert Series: Help Not Handcuffs
A Webinar Series Focused On Addressing Mental Health Crises With Comprehensive Community Responses
Part 1: The Definition of Insanity Documentary & Panel Discussion
Thursday, February 25, 2021
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. ET
This first webinar of the series will feature a showing of the 2020 PBS documentary The Definition of Insanity, which tells the story of the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project (CMHP), a team of dedicated public servants working through the courts to redirect people living with mental illness from incarceration to recovery.
Following the showing, NAMI’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ken Duckworth will lead a guided discussion and Q&A with our panel of experts, many of whom are featured in the documentary. Panelists from a variety of specialties will share insights, information and resources on their community’s response to our nation’s mental health crisis.
This event’s panel will include:
From the 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida Criminal Mental Health Project Jail Diversion Program:
- Sergeant John Blackerby III, City of Miami Police Officer
- Habsi Kaba, Crisis Intervention Team Coordinator, Miami-Dade County
- Judge Steve Leifman, Associate Administrative Judge
- Cindy Schwartz, Project Director
- Justin Volpe, Certified Recovery Peer Support Specialist
From the Matthew Harris Ornstein Memorial Foundation:
- Judith Harris, President
- Norman Ornstein, Vice President
To register, click here.